Christmas is over and we are about to embark on a new year which holds promise, endless possibilities and adventure. Or another 365 days just chilling out! Either way is fine by me!
It’s been a blissful Christmas and the break is not over for me and Hubby as we have taken extra time off to relax before we get caught up in our hectic schedules again. And we have had the most relaxing time. I almost feel guilty that we didn’t make better use of our time and head off somewhere but hey, we’ve got the whole of next year to go gallivanting if time (and work!) will allow.
It’s given me time to catch up with blogging as I’ve been quite neglectful in the run up to Christmas. Oh and I’ve taken to watching early episodes of Neighbours partly because I’ve been feeling especially nostalgic and think that the old stuff is so much better than the show is now (sorry, Neighbours!) but also because I was very young when Neighbours first hit our screens and don’t remember the earlier episodes very well. In fact when Neighbours was first shown in the UK it used to be on at around 9am while I was at school so there was no chance of me watching it (it was before they started repeating it at 5:30pm.) Anyway, I’ve come across a whole bunch of characters and storylines I never knew about – so stay tuned for further blog posts about that.
What a year 2013 has been. To say it’s been eventful is something of an understatement. Let’s take a look at the year we’re about to say goodbye to:
- Sad passing of Nelson Mandela
- Pope Benedict XVI steps down as pope due to failing health
- Pope Francis becomes the 266th pope; the first pope from South America and the first Jesuit pope.
- Building collapse in Dhaka, Bangladesh leaves 1,129 people dead.
- Croatia becomes the 28th member of the European Union.
- Syrian civil war
- Typhoon Yolanda hits the Philippines
- Lostprophets’ lead singer Ian Watkins is convicted of some of the worst crimes against children
- Stuart Hall is jailed
- Zara Phillips announces that she is expecting…
- …as does Gwen Stefani.
- Prince George of Cambridge, future king of England
- Controversially named North West – the most talked about baby since Prince George!
- Kate Winslet’s baby Bear!
- Jennifer Love Hewitt’s daughter Autumn
- Holly Valance had a little girl called Luka
- Parker Bridge, son of Wayne Bridge and Frankie Sandford
- Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez had the obviously gorgeous Maceo
- Azura, Alesha Dixon’s baby girl
- Michael Buble’s son, Noah
- Jessica Simpson’s son, Ace Knute
- Peaches Geldof’s son Phaedra
- Josh Duhamel and Black Eye Peas’ Fergie had a son named Axl
- Alec Baldwin became a dad for the second time to Carmen
- Baby girl Everly was born to two very gorgeous parents – Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan-Tatum
- Marvin and Rochelle Humes’ daughter Alaia-May
- Jamie Cullam and Sophie Dahl’s baby Margot – a great-granddaughter for the late Roald Dahl
- Edith Bowman had a son Spike
- Ferane Cotton’s son Rex
- Bryan Adams’ daughter, the exotically named Lula Roseylea!
- We didn’t think it would happen but Hugh Grant became dad to son, Felix
- Shakira’s baby boy, Milan
- Elton John’s second son, Elijah
- Lily Allen’s daughter Marnie
- Nelson Mandela
- Larry Hagman
- Margaret Thatcher
- Bernie Nolan
- Anna Wing
- David Frost
- Alan Wicker
- Michael Winner
- Mel Smith
- Paul Shane
- David Coleman
- Ronnie Biggs
- Peter O’Toole
- Lewis Collins
- Paul Walker
- Lou Reed
- Nigel Davenport
- Sean Edwards
- Ray Dolby
- Tom Clancy
- Ken Norton
- Davis Jacobs
- Christian Benitez
- Cory Monteith
- Louis the Chimpanzee
- James Gandolfini
- Bill Pertwee
- Richard Thorp
- Bryan Forbes
- Sir Robert Edwards
- Richard Griffiths
- Richard Briers
May they rest in peace.
- Chad Kroeger and Avril Lavigne
- Jimi Mistry and Flavia Cacace
- Keira Knightly and James Righton
- Theo Walcott and Melanie Slade
- Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez
- Coronation Street’s Helen Worth to Trevor Dawson
- Dawn French and Mark Bignell
- Example and Erin McNaught
- Jessica Ennis and Andy Hill
- Amir Khan and Faryal Makhdoom
- George Lucas and Mellody Hobson
- Tina Turner and Erwin Bach
- Elle MacPherson and Jeffrey Soffer
- Kate Bosworth and Michael Polish
- Victoria Pendleton and Scott Gardner
- Patrick Stewart and Sunny Ozell
- John Legend and Christine Teigen
- Pharrell Williams and Helen Lasichanh
- Rose McGowan and Davey Detail
- Kelly Clarkson and Brandon Blackstock
- Christina Ricci and James Heerdegen
- Jonny Wilkinson and Shelley Jenkins
- Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego
- Sally Lindsay and Steve White
- Leslie Phillips and Zara Carr
- Kaley Cuoco and Ryan sweeting
- Lacey Chabert and David Nehdar
So it’s been quite a year with so much going on. Some of it memorable and some of it things we’d rather forget! I wonder if I’ll be talking of the events of 2013 in years to come – if Nostalgia pie is still around of course.
2013 has been quite a year for me in terms of blogging. I’ve been working on several blogs this year but it’s Nostalgia Pie that is very special to me because it was my very first attempt at blogging. I started the blog back in 2012 but began posting on a serious level at the beginning of this year. At first it was a little bit like shouting in an empty room but slowly but surely the likes started… followed by the comments… and then the follows. All the feedback I received has been extremely positive and it gave me the encouragement to keep going. It’s great to share memories and have people know what you’re talking about. And I remember the two blog posts that caused everything to skyrocket: Top Twenty Childhood Sweet Treats and Baked Alaska. That’s when I knew people were actually reading my blog!
And of course I got to know some awesome fellow bloggers and without Nostalgia Pie this would not have been possible. And being nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award pretty much made my year! Of course I plan to keep blogging in 2014 and bringing that wave of nostalgia back into everyone’s lives.
I’d like to wish all my fellow bloggers and everyone out there a very happy new year. Best wishes for 2014.